Certain units of local government must establish either a civil service system or a grievance procedure that provides for a hearing before an impartial hearing officer. See Sec. 66.0509(1m), Stats.  Some local governments have chosen to rely on WERC staff to serve as the impartial hearing officers.

Employees with questions about who will serve as the impartial hearing officer for their appeal should contact their local government office.  Employers interested in using WERC staff as impartial hearing officers should complete a Request for Impartial Hearing Officer form.